Healthy Living Tips for People Who Work From Home
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle in a remote work environment is paramount. From getting enough sleep to eating right, balancing professional and personal life demands can be challenging. Luckily, there are many ways you can achieve that coveted work-life balance. Check out these seven actionable tips for staying healthy while working from home.
1. Develop Healthy Sleeping Habits
Remote work means not having to wake up early for a morning commute. Without it, you have extra time to sleep in a little later. However, it can also be tempting to take longer sleeping hours.
When you’re at home, keeping a consistent sleep schedule can be challenging. Try to stick to the same bedtime and wake time to reap the benefits of quality sleep. If you have extra hours in the morning, try to do something productive, like going for a brisk walk or doing some household chores before starting work.
2. Avoid Working Too Much
Working in the same place you sleep can make it easy to stay in front of your laptop until the late night hours. However, overworking can negatively impact your physical and mental health. If you struggle with putting boundaries between work and personal life, try these tips:
- Say no if necessary: Have the conviction to decline tasks that aren’t important and urgent.
- Minimize distractions: It’s easy to get side-tracked by notifications while working. Turning your phone off or on airplane mode can prevent you from checking your phone.
- Set a strict stopping point: Set an alarm to remind you when to stop working or to take breaks.
3. Set Up a Dedicated Workspace
Even if you don’t have a spare room at home, ensure you work at a separate desk and sit in a supportive chair. Even better, situate your workspace where you can enjoy sunlight and fresh air to help boost your productivity. You can also invest in a standing desk and walking pad to get active while working.
Do the 20/20/20 rule to help avoid eye strain — stare at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds and do it every 20 minutes.
4. Get Regular Breaks
Remember, you’re not a machine. Take short pauses and walk around the house to keep your blood flowing. Try the Pomodoro Technique — a time management method that sets a timer for 25-minute work and a five-minute break. After three or four Pomodoro periods, you can enjoy around 20 to 30 minutes of break.
5. Nourish Your Body
Working from home can tempt you to visit the kitchen for a bag of potato chips. You might also choose the convenience of ordering out instead of cooking lunch. If you’re challenged to prepare a meal, make it in advance, just as you would have if you were going to the office.
Remember to eat a mix of foods that provide essential nutrients. For instance, seafood is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and B-complex vitamins that help boost concentration and energy for the day. High-protein snacks such as trail mix, Greek yogurt and roasted chickpeas can help curb your snacking appetite while working.
6. Exercise Daily
Get moving before or after work. Your routine doesn’t need to be elaborate — you can walk outside for 15 minutes or do yoga after work. If you struggle with consistency, schedule online workout classes to keep you more accountable. Set milestones and celebrate your wins, even if it’s as simple as jogging every morning for a week.
7. Decompress on Weekends
You likely spend around 40 hours weekly sitting on your desk and staring at your screen. Allow yourself to disconnect during weekends and connect with what matters most. Here are ways you can decompress for two days:
- Connect with yourself: Make time for self-care and mental health. Treat yourself to good food, dance to your favorite music and practice gratitude. You can be grateful for simple things like the weather or having the means to buy your favorite food.
- Connect with loved ones: Visit your family or have a brunch date with friends to maintain and improve your social life.
- Connect with nature: Go on an outdoor adventure, whether as simple as an afternoon picnic or as exhilarating as hiking.
Take Care of Yourself
Strive to achieve a healthy work-life balance and a healthier you. Keep these tips in mind to help you unlock your best self and achieve a fulfilling professional and personal life.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.